After being put on hold due to the Coronavirus pandemic, the Environment Bill has this month resumed its progress through Parliament, with the Commons Committee stage due to be completed by 1st December.
As part of the 25 Year Environment Plan, the Government seeks to improve the condition of the environment. In practice it is expected to include changes such as:
- Biodiversity net gain, with a proposed condition in all planning consents to achieve 10 per cent more biodiversity.
- Conservation covenants which can run with titles to land, encouraging positive environmental management.
- Local Nature Recovery Strategies for local councils to assess and improve habitats and biodiversity problems.
- Measures on waste and resource efficiency.
- Powers regarding water quality.
While the exact details of the Bill may not be known for some time, as always we will keep you updated once further guidance is received.